MATERNITY SUPPORT BELT
As I get further into my own pregnancy, I'm finding back pain to be a real pain (pun intended ~ ha). But seriously speaking, it's become a real daily inconvenience. If you're in the market for one, I highly recommend going to a Maternity Store or Boutique to try on different styles as well as get fitted for size.
1. After trying on multiple options, the Ultimate Single Maternity Belt ($40) was the best choice for me. It seemed to give me the best support compared to the other styles I tried. Pros: I love that the additional straps allow you to customize the support level and the price point was lower than other options I found. Cons: The material itself is quite rough and scratchy and not something you'd want to wear on your bare skin, but rather over clothing.
2. Another option I really liked was the Upsie Belly, Belly Support by Belly Bandit ($69.95). Pros: I loved the uber soft bamboo viscose material that this model was made of, plus it comes with its own hot/cold insert. Cons: Maybe it's because I'm carrying twins, but this model just didn't give me the ultimate, heavy-duty support I craved. And the price point is one of the hightest. If you're only experiencing moderate back pain, I'd highly consider this as an option.
One of the most important things during pregnancy is to stay hydrated. I've found that having a water bottle near by encourages continuous drinking, which of course keeps you and baby healthy, minimizes round ligament pain and helps combat dry, itchy skin by hydrating you from the inside out.
3. The Eddy by Camelbak ($14) has become my go-to reusable water bottle. I love that it comes in a wide range of fun colors and is the perfect size for drinking at home or hydrating on the go. I also love that it comes with a straw ~ perfect for my fruit smoothies.
Soothing Shower Gel
With the heightened sense of smell during pregnancy, a soothing shower gel is a must. Find a fragrance that relaxes and soothes you and your ever changing body. I promise whether before bed, or before the start of your day, this is a daily investment you'll appreciate.
4. Pure Grace by Philosophy ($24 for 16oz), while a splurge, is one of my favorites! It's aroma leaves you with a subtle clean scent that's not too overpowering for your heightened sense of smell.
5. Baby Grace by Philosophy was given to me as a gift and I absolutely LOVE it! It's exactly what my tired body needs and the aroma is completely soothing. I'm not sure if this has been discontinued, as I couldn't find it too many places online. However, I have seen this on store shelves. If you happen to find it ~ buy it!
There's a lot of conflicting info out there about what lotion and oils are best for your baby bump and what best minimizes stretch marks. After talking to multiple doctors and plenty of moms, I continually hear that there isn't a secret perfect ointment that will prevent stretch marks ~ DARN! But rather the important thing is to keep your belly and body moisturized with drinking plenty of water and regularly applying lotion. The lotion, while it doesn't have magic powers, will help with the dry, itchy skin that comes with a growing belly. But should you find that perfect potion, let me know!
6. Mama Bee Belly Butter by Burt's Bees ($13) has become my before bed time bump ritual. I like its thick consistency of cocoa, shea and jojoba butters. But most of all, I love that it's fragrance free! And to be completely honest, the name alone had me sold.
7. Having combated eczema for years, Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion ($10.99 for 18fl.oz.) is my hands down favorite and best bang for your buck! Trust me, I've tried it all!
Even though I'm pregnant during the summer months, I still find a heating pad does wonders for my achy back! Whether after a walk, or an afternoon of running errands or doing housework, sitting down to a glass of ice water with a heating bad on my lower back instantly relieves pain and stress.
8. The Origin's Hug ($45) was a recent splurge and I'm obsessed with it! I purchased the Ginger one, which isn't showing online, however my Macy's store had them in stock, but any of their fragrances are divine! Pros: I love it's soft quilted cover and the wide coverage it gives on my back. It easily heats in the microwave and the fragrance is long lasting (my mom has one and it still smells amazing after a year!) Cons: Price point, but it really is worth the cost!
10. The Original Bed Buddy ($9.99) has been my favorite for years. Pros: easily heats in the microwave and price. Cons: The size of this is perfect for the over the shoulders or on your tummy (which is NOT recommended during pregnancy). In wanting a heat pad for my back during pregnancy it does the trick, but I wish it gave a slightly wider coverage. For moderate or pin pointed back aches, this one is great ~ if you need fuller coverage go with the option above.
Comfortable Walking Shoes
I can't stress enough how therapeutic walking has been during my pregnancy. I honestly feel better on days when I get outside and go for a walk. I find it helps my circulation and steadily builds back muscles that accommodate my growing bump. There's plenty of other benefits and given your doctor gives you the go-ahead, I highly recommend making walking a priority during pregnancy! Whether exercising or walking the aisles of the grocery store, a comfortable pair of tennis shoes is a must. If you don't have a good pair already, invest in some that will work for you during and after pregnancy.
9. Due to knee pain pre-pregnancy, I became a recent Mizuno convert and have liked the Mizuno Women's Hitogami Running Shoe ($99). Paired with foot insoles, they've worked great during my pregnancy as well.
These are my personal Pregnancy Must Haves and
I'd love for you to share your Past or Present Pregnancy Favorites in the comments below!